Thursday 23 May 2013

Bicycle riding

     Qualifying rides are never fun. Following over subscription for the Wolverhampton national round, the organisers decided to run heats for the Youth A boys in the morning ( 2 heats of 50 ) with the top 25 from each progressing to the final later in the day. The majority of the field had travelled large distances to race there and most had parents who had invested time and money to see their child race the main race and NOT simply get put out after a 20 minute qualifier. This meant everyone was feeling slightly nervous and with the tight twisty course it was essential to stay at the front of the bunch.
 
     But, as you only needed to be within the top 25 and not first, nobody wanted to ride hard on the front to keep the pace high. This resulted in one of the hardest tactical races I've ridden with more than a few elbows being thrown about. Thankfully I was able to comfortably sit within the top 10 and qualified without any major mishaps but half the field were left empty handed and had to return home. After returning to the hotel in time to catch breakfast (it was an early heat) my Dad and I returned to the race to sit around for another 3 hours or so in anticipation of the main race.

    The race was quick from the off with lots of digs at the front. The field was either completely strung out or completely bunched up meaning getting away from the rear end was proving hard and I wasted a lot of energy having to sprint out of every corner. Thankfully towards the end of the race I made my way into the top 10 and was sitting quite comfortably, not wanting to push too hard as Stuart was up the road in a breakaway of three. Coming into the last lap I stupidly allowed myself to be pushed out of my spot and finished around 30th in the bunch sprint. Not bad but not what I wanted. Stuart managed to stay away though, finishing second, I got a sweet mud tan line and I was able to get showered in Smellis' van so at least there was some positives to take away.

     Showering in Smellis' van turned out to be a bad mistake though as it meant he gained my trust. This proved decisive the following Wednesday when we headed out from Ronde for a couple hours spin and he said, "I know this really good ride, it's a wee bit longer but great fun".

     It started out good, with my first crossing of the firth of forth on two wheels, but 5 hours and 120km later I arrived home after we managed to get completely lost. Not a happy Francis. The following day was then taken as a rest and resulted in me helping out marshalling the 48 race which was good fun until the midgies arrived.

     I have a wee gap now but June is go go go with 3 Scottish omnium rounds and 3 national youth circuit rounds, with the British Championships at the start of July. Cheers for reading, over and out. x

     Oh and I snapped my frame but halfords were sound and gave me another for free. Thanks to Lewis from Bicycleworks for getting it ready quickly. And thanks to Emma B for some of the pictures!















No comments:

Post a Comment