Monday 29 July 2013

Bonking and Belgium

    So far my season has been slightly underwhelming I must say, but all that was going to change at the champs, I was sure of it. My optimism was short lived though as my warm up was interrupted by a long nature call which left me running out the loo desperately o make sure I didn't miss the start. The race was quite quick from the off but I simply didn't have the legs or the head and at Blackpool riding at the back simply isn't an option. 
     Sure enough about half way through the elastic snapped and I was off the back trying to limit my losses. Crossing the line though I was welcomed with the news that Ben had won. No offence to Ben but he hasn't been my pre race favourite and everyone was ecstatic about his win.
     A few weeks later I packed my things and headed south with the balfours for a Belgian adventure. Our first race was on the Wednesday in a small town in East Flanders and we were amazed by the field of 90+ riders on the start line. This included an American squad, a South African team as well as Dutch and French riders. And of course the Belgians.
     The race was way better than anything here with a fast pace on a long rolling course creating good hard racing with a rapidly decreasing bunch.the Belgian "style" of racing also helped make it enjoyable and different with 6ft+ riders head butting and elbowing around the course, bunny hopping anything they can see and riding on the pavements to move up whenever possible.  I came round somewhere in the top 40 (because I got 5 euros back) with Stuart finishing 12th.
      The Saturday race we were sure would be smaller although as we found out afterwards there was only 2 races in Belgium that day which explained the 120+ field of riders. This race was even harder based on what effectively was a large crit loop. I managed to get in a small move but it was quickly shut down and again finished in the bunch. Unfortunately we weren't able to race the Sunday but it was still a great trip. Muchos thanks balfours!
Oh and Ben bonked on chaingang on Saturday and I had to tow him home which was payback for him lapping me then winning the British champs.
Cheers for reading, over and out.
      





No comments:

Post a Comment